Designing a cloud-based trading analytics report creation product for a huge investment management firm
What we did?
Design a Web and M-Web cloud-based application that makes it intuitive for users to save, upload articles, edit, curate and publish.
What we did?
Designed the product in a way that there is zero need for development to send a new newsletter/report.
What we did?
Complete integration with company generated research and deep analysis reports into the report creation system's UI.
What we did?
Design the newsletter's template in a way that the flow of information is easy to grasp
The sales traders who curate the newsletter had to share detailed analytical reports of the market to high-end clientele every day. Each sales trader has about 100-300 clients on average. Clients based on their interest subscribe to receive newsletters from multiple traders on domain and industry-specific analysis.
Understanding the problem
A high-level ideal flow should be: Sign-in, pick a template, edit, curate, run a compliance check, set a target audience, and publish.
Before publishing, the system checks the content for Compliance and regulatory guidelines, which the user can choose to ignore or correct. Users also need to select the target users from the Distribution List based on region, add product tags and send.
The mammoth scale and complexity were now established, an initial audit was conducted for the current platform exploring all corners and going through all the flows. Once the audit was concluded, other than the many obvious usability flaws, we realized a huge opportunity to automate many of the common flows in events created.
Time to set up some goals!
The purpose of the reports and newsletters was to provide users with information without influencing their purchasing and investment decisions. These goals were set up after a lot of discussion with the business and sales teams.
- Sales trader gets easy and quick access to research.
- Report from each desk should use a template to improvise consistency with a custom logo and layout.
- No learning curve – system guides the trader on how to publish.
- Built-in search to suggest similar articles published from the same firm.
- Search integration for users to find articles easily.
- Option for easy formatting of the content.
- Content in the newsletter to show highlighted parts, summary, signature, and from the desk of the user.
- Compliance and regulation reviews should be automated before publishing. System highlights compliance issues and shows recommendations.
- Tech to be majorly upgraded from word press to react.
Traders are always in high demand and we had limited access to the busy and hectic trading floor but we got a chance to interview a few users and observe how they went about their work.
- Users were asked questions on what was their day like and what were some of the difficulties they faced while curating, publishing.
- We conducted an expert review session to get an insight into the end-to-end process of report creation to publishing. This gave the team a complete overview of the process and pointed out what were some of the problems that had to be addressed.
Traders to be given a template to work with in terms of content. They have to work within the template’s constraints to publish.
Tags for users to be able to look for information easier and faster.
*These are just representations of the original implementation
Outcome and Impact
This project was ignored and had a very limited budget. After the product was introduced, it quickly became an org-wide tool.
Month Project Duration
Development effort for new newsletters
Decrease in curation time
Increase in sales
Decrease in publishing time
Increase in the completeness of the newsletter
Want to know more about how we solve complex billion-dollar problems?
More Case Studies
Complex multi-billion dollar problems made viable, usable, and efficient
Enabling data-driven design co-creation to simplify complex financial problems for institutional giants
Customisable portfolio curation product for high net worth clients created for massive asset management companies
We are hiring!
We are writing!
We are talking!
We are a global Design and Research studio that creates delightful experiences.
Design happens here, remotely!
New York, USA
+1 646 818 0929
+91 81063 55111
What else is happening?
Podcast (Happening soon!)
Let’s make it
Copyright © 2021, Happening Design Studio, A division of Uiser LLC